Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Change...

The winds of change are blowing ... I'm thinking that my blog overhaul may be bigger than I originally thought. May move away from 'stitchingbrat' to ... whatever my poor cold brain can come up with. Stay tuned!

I've just signed up for 2 online classes - more on those tomorrow when I (hopefully) thaw out. But aren't these the cutest tags? We'll see if my brain can work this all out...

Tonight, Sassy (aka Sassy's Fabrics) & I went on a cemetery tour at my village's cemetery. Our village is on what was the Erie Canal ... goes way back in time. We have the grave of what is believed to be the first white woman to have died on the canal - Catherine Richardson. (That's a sarcophagus she's buried under with a new footstone saving the verse her husband had engraved on the limestone, which has greatly faded away) Anyway, a tour was hosted - 8 stations with docents dressed in applicable period clothing, who shared stories about their parts of the cemetery. It was awesome - but VERY cold. I learned new things about the village ... including there's a few mass graves in our cemetery, containing the remains of cholera victims. At the time, the townsfolk didn't know what was killing so many people so quickly, so they buried them in the mass graves to dissuade family members from digging up the remains. How incredibly sad! One of our village's founding families is the Rarey family ... the family of John Rarey, the original 'horse whisperer'. One of his descendants was the docent at John's headstone ... what wonderful stories Ed shared of his family. (Did I say how cold it was out there???)

I've acquired a few new wonderful goodies over the last couple of days. I'll share pictures soon... Sandy, you are SUCH an enabler!!! Love you! :0)

2 comments:

Sandy said...

The cemetary tour sounds awesome. And how sad about the mass grave. You have so many famous people living or that "lived" in your area.

Love the tags. And I know all about change, it hasn't stopped blowing my way yet. That's a good thing, it makes life more interesting to me. Who needs boredom or humdrum? I plan to live, a lot.

Yes I'm a enabler, anything for memory preservation or journaling. LOL Kelli will thank me for it one day. :D Can't wait to see what you got. :D

Oh and is your cold the same kind of cold I have? LOL LOL Hope not, that could be a problem if it spread.

Pumpkin said...

I think it's amazing the history that is out there. Things like that interest me so much. It sounds like you two had a very educational visit ;o)

You have me very curious....